America american author dating
(It would be impossible to list all of the cities which contained ATS branches-some cities contained more than one).
The American Tract Society (Boston, Mass.) maintained major branches in New York City and in Chicago, Ill.
Hodes provides details of the wedding of a white servant-woman and a slave man in 1681, an antebellum rape accusation that uncovered a relationship between an unmarried white woman and a slave, and a divorce plea from a white farmer based on an adulterous affair between his wife and a neighborhood slave.
Drawing on sources that include courtroom testimony, legislative petitions, pardon pleas, and congressional testimony, she presents the voices of the authorities, eyewitnesses, and the transgressors themselves--and these voices seem to say that in the slave South, whites were not overwhelmingly concerned about such liaisons, beyond the racial and legal status of the children that were produced.
If the imprint appears as PUBLISHED BY THE/ AMERICAN TRACT SOCIETY,/ 150 NASSAU-STREET, NEW YORK, it is printed in the new typeface. Marvin (15) Wright's press was called Well Spring Press [1848-1861] Bobbett & Hooper; active in New York 1855-1870; listed from 1868- 1870 as chromolithographers J. Pierce; active in Boston 1851-1870 Richardson and Cox; active in New York 1853-1859 Robert Roberts (b. 1821); active in New York 1841-1850 Nathaniel Rudd; active in Boston 1857-1860 and later John M. The information about the mergers and machinations of the various American Tract Societies was taken from annual reports of the American Tract Society; A Brief History of the American Tract Society, Instituted at Boston, 1814, and its Relation to the American Tract Society at New York, Instituted 1825. The Congress Street addresses reflect his address as the printer, which is what appears in the imprint statements.
New York (Auxiliary branch) Bannister & Marvin - 1824 32 Congress St. Stafford; active in New York 1847-1848 © 2001 by S. According to A Brief History of the American Tract Society, Instituted at Boston, 1814 and its Relations to the American Tract Society at New York, Instituted 1825(Boston : Press of T. Marvin, 1857), once the American Tract Soceiety was formed at New York "the general depository was removed from Andover to Boston, and was located in the basement of the stone church, Hanover Street, August 1826 ...
5 Cornhill, and in June, 1838, was removed from that place to the building at present occupied by the Society." 5.
Y.; Cincinnati, Ohio; and Chicago, Ill., and secondary New York city branch.
The angle brackets indicate that this date might possibly be extended as a result of researching directories past 1876. The branch addresses are for cities whose directories listed the ATS. There were literally HUNDREDS of depositories and it would be impossible to list them all and their addresses. Lawrence Thompson "The Printing and Publishing activities of the American Tract Society from 1825 to 1850" in The Papers of the Bibliographical Society of America 35 (1941), 92. However, the twenty-third annual report of the ATS (1848) states on p. 17 in the ATS annual report for 1860, and states that Fanshaw served as the printer for "twenty-two years, from its formation till 1847 when the present building was erected, since which it has done its own printing." 15. Activity dates for illustrators and engravers are taken from George C. Wallace New-York Historical Society Dictionary of Artists in America, 1564-1860 New York: New Haven: Yale University Press, 1957.
21 "The experience of another year has very satisfactorily confirmed the unanimous judgment of the committee which led to the reconstruction of the Society's house, and the procuring of adequate machinery for doing the printing, under the direction of capable men, on the Society's premises. Also as Bannister & Marvin, 1824 and Perkins & Marvin, 1828-1833, and 1836-1841 and as Perkins, Marvin & Co., 1834-1835. Of course the earliest and most prolific engraver for the American Tract Society was Alexander Anderson.
The American Tract Society used the imprint "150 Nassau-Street, near the city-hall" from about 1832 to about 1838.
(9) A new typeface was introduced in 1847 or 1848 which was taller and more delicate.